Welcome to the new YOSC forums! Feel free to start a thread and (re?) introduce yourself or offer some advice about the forum itself. Sick of this message? Close it by clicking the "X" on the upper right.
Random quotes
  • GaerlanGaerlan June 2005
    These are the mock-up quotes that we have put in so far. You may notice that they randomly rotate every time you reload or load a new page.

[list]
    [*]"Quote me as being misquoted." - Groucho Marx
    [*]"Where's the beef?"
    [*]"Comma," said Ed.
    [*]"WRYYYYYYYYYY!" - Dio Brando, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    [*]"Curiouser and curiouser!" - Alice, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
    [/list]
    Marg's Hunter S. Thompson quotes.

[list]
    [*]Going to trial with a lawyer who considers your whole life-style a Crime in Progress is not a happy prospect.
    [*]I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    [*]I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
    [*]If I'd written all the truth I knew for the past ten years, about 600 people - including me - would be rotting in prison cells from Rio to Seattle today. Absolute truth is a very rare and dangerous commodity in the context of professional journalism.
    [*]It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.
    [*]No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master.
    [*]The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
    [*]When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    [*]A word to the wise is infuriating.
    [*]America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
    [*]Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
    [*]Publishers are notoriously slothful about numbers, unless they're attached to dollar signs - unlike journalists, quarterbacks, and felony criminal defendants who tend to be keenly aware of numbers at all times.
    [*]That was always the difference between Muhammad Ali and the rest of us. He came, he saw, and if he didn't entirely conquer - he came as close as anybody we are likely to see in the lifetime of this doomed generation.
    [*]The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    [*]The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
    [*]The person who doesn't scatter the morning dew will not comb gray hairs.
    [*]The TV business is uglier than most things. It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs, for no good reason.
    [*]There is nothing more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge. --Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    [*]You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye. --Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    [/list]
    Dorth's suggested quotes.

[list]
    [*]"Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish." -- Albert Einstein
    [*]"Everyone is a genius at least once a year; a real genius has his original ideas closer together." - Georg Lichtenberg
    [*]"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint Exupery
    [*]"Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung. " - Voltaire
    [*]"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." - Paul Erdos
    [*]"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours." - Richard Bach
    [*]"Egotist: a person more interested in himself than in me. " - Ambrose Bierce
    [*]"The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the variable pi can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant. This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change." -- FORTRAN manual for Xerox computers
    [*]"I would like to live forever, because we should not live forever, because if we were ever supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever." -- Miss Alabama in the 1994 Miss Universe contest
    [*]"What do you take me for, an idiot?" - General Charles de Gaulle (1890-1970), when a journalist asked him if he was happy
    [*]"Good teaching is one-fourth preparation and three-fourths theater. " - Gail Godwin
    [*]"It is dangerous to be sincere unless you are also stupid. " - - George Bernard Shaw
    [*]"And now the sequence of events in no particular order." -- Dan Rather, tv news anchor
    [*]"Happiness is good health and a bad memory. " - Ingrid Bergman
    [*]"PROGRAM - n. - A magic spell cast over a computer allowing it to turn one's input into error messages."
    [*]"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there. " - Yogi Berra
    [*]"When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite. " - Sir Winston Churchill
    [*]"We all agree that your theory is crazy, but is it crazy enough?" - Niels Bohr
    [*]"A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines. " - Frank Lloyd Wright
    [*]"Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it" - Henry David Thoreau
    [*]"Relationships are hard. It's like a full time job, and we should treat it like one. If your boyfriend or girlfriend wants to leave you, they should give you two weeks' notice. There should be severance pay, and before they leave you, they should have to find you a temp." -- Bob Ettinger
    [*]"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright
    [*]"Man is a game playing animal and a computer is another way to play games." -- Scott Adams
    [*]"It was the experience of mystery -- even if mixed with fear -- that engendered religion." - Albert Einstein
    [*]"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation. " - H. H. Munro
    [*]"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." -- Albert Einstein
    [*]"I'm not going to have some reporters pawing through our papers. We are the president." -- Hillary Clinton
    [*]"And even if Bill were as poor as a church mouse, Windows would still suck." -- Christian R. Conrad
    [*]"The nice thing about egotists is that they don't talk about other people. " - Lucille S. Harper
    [*]"A system admin's life is a sorry one. The only advantage he has over Emergency Room doctors is that malpractice suits are rare. On the other hand, ER doctors never have to deal with patients installing new versions of their own innards!" -- Michael O'Brien
    [*]"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." -- Albert Einstein
    [*]"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who know binary, and those who don't
  • MargMarg June 2005
    "For one has a right to shout. So, I am shouting." --The Hour of the Star by Clarice Lispector
  • EugeneEugene July 2005
    Should I add these? I'm getting sick of seeing the same four.
  • GaerlanGaerlan July 2005
    I'll take care of it. Mainly because I plan on getting rid of some of the originals and adding a few more in.
  • Fates+Chosen+OneFates Chosen One August 2005
    "Im sorry, i couldnt hear you over your constant TEAM KILLING!"~ Tucker from Red v. Blue

"I knew you were no mere mortal, Vash... but a cat?... wait a minute!!!!" ~Wolfwood from Trigun

"I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons." ~ Douglas Adams."

"So...I guess the Borg meet a lot of people." ~Ensign Kim, Star Trek: Voyager.

"In fact, to garauntee you have a great wedding day i plan to be there to help you kiss the bride." ~Rick Hunter in Robotech: Macross Saga

"Now waitaminute. Were thinking about this all wrong. This Mr. Staypuft is a good guy, hes a sailor, hes in newyork. We get him laid, and all our problems are over" ~ Bill Murray, as Peter Vankman in GhostBusters.

"Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it." ~Anonymous.

"this is a dull world, in my world there were people in chains and you could ride them like ponies." ~ Evil Vampire Willow. Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

"Photons have mass? i didnt even know they were catholic." ~ bumper Sticker

"Surrender now, or die obscurity!" ~ Hero from Final Fantasy tactics.

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." - Dubyah
  • starfalconstarfalcon August 2005

Fates Chosen One:

"this is a dull world, in my world there were people in chains and you could ride them like ponies." ~ Evil Vampire Willow. Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

One of my favorite Buffy quotes ever.
  • InaudibleRefrainInaudibleRefrain August 2005
    I vote when we quote people, we quote the writers not the characters. Because characters aren't real. You can put the character name, then the writer's name, if need be. But the poor writers, they never get any credit.
  • The+Auth0rThe Auth0r August 2005
    Normally, I'd agree, but that'd be hard for TV shows, as well as some movies, since they tend to have multiple writers all working on one product.

On books, I could see it, on TV not really at all.
  • GaerlanGaerlan August 2005
    It will have to vary depending on the source.

For instance if it were a play we'd have to do the act and scene notation if applicable.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Google

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

Who's Online (0)