Welcome to the new YOSC forums! Feel free to start a thread and (re?) introduce yourself or offer some advice about the forum itself. Sick of this message? Close it by clicking the "X" on the upper right.
YOSC needs posters (?)
  • GaerlanGaerlan August 2011
    Is it a teenager's pipe dream to imagine this board with a modest amount of activity, or are we content with what we have?
  • August 2011

Teenager... Phew, thoses days are long ago for my mid-twenties self.

Lucky you.

Of course, I would love to see many posters as well. How do we make it happen?

• EugeneEugene August 2011

Well... as I mentioned to Ed the other day, we have over a hundred actual members, who gave us e-mail addresses, and consented that we may contact them once in a while.

My personal, unspoken plan was to get YOSC to the point where we are modestly proud of it, feature-complete, and then mass-email everyone.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how terrible of an idea is that?

• GaerlanGaerlan August 2011
    I am definitely not a spring chicken myself now, having stood by the old girl for over a decade already.

Anyway, it's not too terrible, I think. Unable to qualify or quantify. Frankly, that was my spoken plan for some time now.

But to to achieve that. What's something we can do now to inch closer to that goal modestly proud goal?
  • August 2011

Shouldn't you be proud of the active members you already have? [I'm sure you are, I'm just saying don't sell it short! ;)]

You gave it a face-lift already. Members who travel to other message boards could always mention to other friends to travel over and visit.

Just remember some people don't check e-mail. Like me, I check when I need something out of the inbox. Could be a great idea for those who do!

Gaerlan said: But to to achieve that. What's something we can do now to inch closer to that goal modestly proud goal?

I think the software switch was the critical step. I just think the kinks need to be worked out, now... just my TODO list in the announcement. I'd say that's all we need.

I suppose there's another question that's related, though, and that is, "How do we KEEP said new posters?" That one's harder to answer. We'd need to do more than just chat about any old thing -- unfortunately, I think we all have commitments elsewhere. If I'm right about all these assumptions, then the best we have to hope for even after the mass-email is that a modest number of people stick around after a few weeks. I think the results will be disappointing, but that doesn't mean they'd be worthless.

fruitonthevine said: Just remember some people don't check e-mail. Like me, I check when I need something out of the inbox. Could be a great idea for those who do!

Well, it's not like we're on a mission to reach each and every member. But once the forums are completely usable, the easiest way to let the world know that is by leveraging our existing memberbase that just vanished.

• FerretFerret August 2011

I feel the forum has lost its role as a social get together place to the social network sites, so it would be a fruitless attempt to attract people for the sake of the social aspect. 

• August 2011
    I still enjoy forums more than social networking due to the fact that we tend to have topics that spark interesting discussions. But Ferret is right social networking has taken over the world.

I hate social networks.

I don't know that I particularily love YOSC. I think the biggest selling point we've got is essentially nostalgia.

• August 2011
    If you don't love your own forum how do you expect others to? *shocked*

It's not my forum, first of all. If it's anyone's, it'd Ed's. And I don't expect anyone to love this place. Isn't that what this thread's about?

Fact is, there just isn't much to love. A site is only as good as the amount of work that goes into it, and neither Ed nor myself spend much of our time actually working on YOSC -- sure, we post (he more than I), as do others, but that just isn't enough. The evidence is all around you.

That's not to say YOSC is worthless, and definitely not to say just because I don't love it I hate it. Not at all. As I said, I think YOSC's primary value is one of nostalgia. The site is essentially the virtual version of a street we all grew up on. In the real world, it's rare you get the opportunity to return to the places you grew up in, with the people you grew up with. Online, it's much easier. But what made the street magical when you were younger has long faded and all you see are the rusted swingsets, etc. That doesn't mean the street should be abandoned, it just means it's hard to sell as a tourist spot.

• August 2011

So find people that don't mind putting in work. My brain is wired for one way thinking. So I ignore all other things in the way and see only the objective. Ignore all the bs of what has been and start building the little bugger up for what is relevant now. Only include all the goodies the vets love about the place but wire it for new blood. It was once a gaming site. Bring that back. All nerds love a good hideout. Me included. Just add spots for those new games everyone loves. Research! :)

Give me a linking button and I'll find you some new blood from the other forums I go to.
  • August 2011

Why did you ignore my post?! -growls-

I actually meant to create a linking button and reply with that, but never got around to it. Case in point, I suppose. Still, I'll try and get around to it.

I already responded to the first part of your post. There is currently no one at YOSC who contributes enough time to it to actually accomplish what you're suggesting. You volunteering?

• August 2011

It's alright. I just assumed a button would look more attractive than just the link.

That depends on what I'd be volunteering to do. What do you need done?

• September 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • September 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NinielNiniel September 2011

Persistent spammer?

• GaerlanGaerlan September 2011

Apologies. I accidentally approved a bunch of spam-bots when I was doing a purge the other day.

• NinielNiniel September 2011

Don't worry about it. The two timed tactic was actually interresting, as spam bots go :-p

• September 2011

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Google

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

Tagged

Who's Online (0)