Welcome to the new YOSC forums! Feel free to start a thread and (re?) introduce yourself or offer some advice about the forum itself. Sick of this message? Close it by clicking the "X" on the upper right.
New Forums Feedback and To-do list!
  • EugeneEugene August 2011

Hey folks! Still ironing things out. Let me know here if you're having problems with something.

To-do list:

• Make the old avatars work (well, the size is incompatible with the new forums, but there's nothing I can do about that. At least they show now.)
    • Bring back the subdirectories from yosc.net (194X, jam, etc)
    • Find a way to bring back some of the old "announcement" threads like the "what are you listening to" and similar book threads, etc. We don't want them as announcements any more but I'm hoping there's a way to have them be constantly visible on the sidebar.
    • Bring back the YOSC personalizations, such as the random messages, pictures, etc.
    • Make links more obvious. Right now, I'm resorting to linking AND underlining the link.
    • Allow all users to attach polls.
    • Page numbers/links at the top as well as bottom
    • The current WYSIWYG editor kinda sucks for some stuff, look for a replacement.

I archived all posts from 2010 and back. Though I didn't put them in the "rubbish bin" as Ed used to, that's part of the fun of Vanilla, eh?

I'm trying to deal with the massive quantity of Announcements now. Mostly by deannouncing most of them, especially if they're old.

... and half an hour after the forums go live, we have our first spam applicant.
    I'm off for the night. Feel free to peruse the theme gallery if you don't like this rather bland theme.
  • GaerlanGaerlan August 2011
    Hm. So I see that only Administrators can attach polls.
  • GaerlanGaerlan August 2011
    I cannot seem to find the controls on the Dashboard to set how many replies and threads are visible per page.
  • August 2011
    Is it also possible to make it so that the page numbers for a thread appear at the top of the page, rather than just the bottom?
    Gaerlan said: I cannot seem to find the controls on the Dashboard to set how many replies and threads are visible per page.

It's under Forums > Advanced. I put it up to the max just to see how that works. I don't think I like it. Considering how much faster the page flips are on this forum versus VB, a lower value would probably be an improvement. Yeah, page numbers at the top would be helpful. I'll look into it.

• August 2011
    Will the new one have sub-sections?
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad August 2011
    I remember quoting to be easy... now I can't seem to find anything that lets me just hit a button to quote a post.

Unless I'm crazy or blind.
    fruitonthevine said: Will the new one have sub-sections?

Getting rid of forums and subforums was one of the reasons we switched boards. We just don't have enough traffic. And essentially the same thing is accomplished using tags, but now you don't have to hop around twenty forums any more to figure out what's going on. I realize it's not an improvement in EVERY way, there are some downsides, but it seems to me the advantages of seeing everything in one place outweighs the disadvantages.

raging drunk lad said: I remember quoting to be easy... now I can't seem to find anything that lets me just hit a button to quote a post.

I changed the old quote plugin to a newer one that lets you highlight text. After you highlight something, you can click quote. But it doesn't interact well with the post editor plugin, so you need to actually CLICK "Write Comment" after clicking "Quote" (after selecting some text) for it to show up. And then it shows up with HTML, and you need to click the "Show Source" button on the editor. Yeeeah, the whole thing needs work. It's not, like, game-ending, but I'll look into it.

• August 2011

Hmm interesting. Does make it a tad easier to see what's been currently posted.

I'm a big kid now?

Failure.
    raging drunk lad said: I'm a big kid now?

Failure.

There we go.

The "Who's Online" widget on the right updates every 60 seconds (at least I think that's what I set it to) without you having to reload the page. I didn't want to mention it until I actually saw a name pop up, and as I was typing my post to Peter in some other thread, Niniel hopped online as I was typing. Cool.

I also used this opportunity to test the Saved Drafts feature. Every once in a while as you're typing a post, you'll see the button above auto-activate and save your current work. Or you can activate it manually by clicking it. I'm happy to report I tested it and it works -- your saved post appears as part of a new category at the top if you come back to the site. It'll bring you back to the relevant discussion and everything. Neat. I do feel that the interval at which it auto-saves is too long for such a useful feature. I'll look into raising it.

I enabled quoting a full post as well as the selection-based quoting that was already available. Let me know if the two conflict with each other or something.

• NinielNiniel August 2011

I enabled quoting a full post as well as the selection-based quoting that was already available. Let me know if the two conflict with each other or something.

humm it seems not to want to let me comment on the quote post.

?

Clicking edit the top box copies the original post. But editing there created a "bodfy required" error message to pop-up... the bottom box seems to be the working box.

However, clicking edit lets you see the HTML tags of the post.. My quote pos is stuck because the blockquote is closed after the text I added and I can't seem to find a close quote button...

• August 2011

Another thing I noticed (but is probably not a big deal): there's no birthday notifications anymore on the site to show users' birthdays.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Google

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

Poll

What do you think of Vanilla?

Tagged

Who's Online (0)