Welcome to the new YOSC forums! Feel free to start a thread and (re?) introduce yourself or offer some advice about the forum itself. Sick of this message? Close it by clicking the "X" on the upper right.
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop
  • July 2011
    http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/fttgI7OsQIB1tZqRMa5CtT45KLrmNkAY

In the wake of poor hardware sales, Nintendo has decided to cut the 3DS' price by $80 in order to entice people to buy it. Along with this, Nintendo is thanking early adopters by giving them 20 free VC games from the GBA and NES era.

Thoughts on this? This is probably the fastest drop in hardware price in the gaming industry ever. At least the fastest I've ever heard of. It makes Nintendo look desperate to get them sold and in people's hands, which wouldn't have been as big a deal if there had been a better selection of games available already.
  • July 2011
    I don't do handheld games myself so I have no clue what the price of these would have been in the first place or how long it has been on market.
  • July 2011
    The 3DS was released back in March worldwide. That means it's been about 4 months since release for the price cut to enter in. For comparison's sake, I believe the first PSP was on the market for three years before a slimmer, cheaper model was introduced.
  • July 2011
    So how much was it when it came out?
  • Downside-upDownside-up July 2011
    $250.

It's sad because the 3DS is pretty nice. Nintendo seems to have a really hard time with getting out worthwhile launch games for their systems lately. I don't really understand why they thought the 3DS would sell well without any big franchise games to go with it.

I think it was also a mistake to base the marketing around it on 3D. No one likes 3D other than the people who keep trying to make 3D games and movies, but regardless of that the 3DS is still a nice handheld even when you turn the 3D off.

Whatever, I get 20 free games that could amount to more than the $80 price cut, so it doesn't bother me that much in the end.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad July 2011
    I only want a 3DS for that Layton/Phoenix Wright crossover.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Google

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

Tagged

Who's Online (0)