Welcome to the new YOSC forums! Feel free to start a thread and (re?) introduce yourself or offer some advice about the forum itself. Sick of this message? Close it by clicking the "X" on the upper right.
google+
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad July 2011
    Well, I think pretty much all of us are on it.

I guess if you're not, now's the time to request an invite.

So, how do we all like it?
  • July 2011
    I'm not on Google+ yet =(
  • NinielNiniel July 2011
    Edit : Never mind, got you.

Darkhart:

I'm not on Google+ yet =(

Sent~
  • Downside-upDownside-up July 2011
    All hail our new social networking overlords.
    I dunno. I'm not feeling it yet.
  • Downside-upDownside-up July 2011
    Not with that attitude.
  • July 2011
    I as well am not feeling the new google plus.
  • EugeneEugene July 2011
    I don't really know how I feel about it. All I know is that I can't stand Facebook, never use it, and froth at the mouth when its mentioned. And I've made a few posts on G+ and have my stream open in another tab as I type.

But all that just says more about me than it does about G+.
  • July 2011
    Do you hate Facebook because it is now the new form of life for all idiots that can create a account or for it's set-up in general?
    I think my biggest gripe about Facebook before was how I'd get constantly spammed by people who played FB games.

That doesn't happen so much anymore.
  • July 2011

raging drunk lad:

I think my biggest gripe about Facebook before was how I'd get constantly spammed by people who played FB games.

That doesn't happen so much anymore.

*becomes angered and shakes little fist into the air* Farmville....
  • EugeneEugene July 2011

fruitonthevine:

Do you hate Facebook because it is now the new form of life for all idiots that can create a account or for it's set-up in general?

I think the general philosophy of Facebook disgusts me in small ways that, on their own, would be meaningless, but work together to really anger me. I think my dislike of the whole experience started with the Wall feature. The inspiration seems to be firmly rooted in high school and college yearbooks and that sort of mentality.

It's like a backwards twitter: I've got a tiny bit of room for a short message to show this person who I barely know what I think of them. But I don't really care about that person, I just care about the connections they might provide for me -- to jobs, other friends, etc.

Twitter is a much more healthy version of this -- you're writing a short message, but you're not aiming it any particular person. There's no need to be self-serving towards anyone.

I think most forms of communication directly aimed at a specific person are loathesome when there is no purpose behind it, and Facebook seems to be a tool designed from the ground up to make it easier to purposelessly communicate to others. Not with, but to.

Compare this to writing a book, or writing a Twitter message. Even if the book is dedicated to a friend or family member, or the twitter message directed at a partical @username, you are writing a message to the world, for all to see, not communicating with the particular person directly. As different as books and tweets are, they share that admirable characteristic. There are bad books and bad tweets, but generally, if a person has something to say to say to the whole world, it may be worth reading. When a person has something to say to someone else just for the sake of saying it, it's usually worthless.

There is almost certainly a better way of saying what I just said. And now I've answered your question in far more detail than you hoped for.

To bring this back around to G+, though it's mostly the same as Facebook, it's, again, the subtle things that are different. The ability to add different people to different (and multiple) circles lends itself to a more Twitter-esque, blog-esque, outward model than Facebook's inward model. I make a post and set it to Public to basically mimic a blog. I make a post and include my "Dungeons and Dragons" circle to share a DnD-related post with those people who actually give a crap. You're still sharing outwards, just with a smaller "world." And, frankly, when I do this, I feel slightly worse -- I wish I had made the post Public, but didn't really want people from work thinking me an even larger nerd.

I could probably write a few more paragraphs about this. Or about anything, really.

Bonus reading: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2007/06/avoiding-walled-gardens-on-the-internet.html
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad August 2011

You know, it feels like it isn't catching on as much as I thought it would. Kinda like Google Wave.

• August 2011

I don't really see the point of a lot of these social network things, thus I haven't really spent more than a few minutes on Google+. It seems nice, if that's what you're interested in doing.

• August 2011

I don't find it is the social network that bothers me. People bother me. It's my fault though. If I take out the idiots then maybe I would like it. I only like Google Plus now because it's most of my techie friends that add me on it. Instead of the idiots I went to high school with. Obviously I care more about what my friends from around the world have to say than the animals in my own backyard. Sad huh?

• NinielNiniel August 2011

Ed : it's still under beta and invite only, so right now it's mostly geek users discussing the meta of it... I think we'll really see the potential once the service opens at large.

Right now a lot of people I know don't want to try it because they don't have a need for it's current version. As they roll our new features (games, celebs accounts, business act, etc) it might also pick up speedand or usability factor.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Google

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

Who's Online (0)