Welcome to the new YOSC forums! Feel free to start a thread and (re?) introduce yourself or offer some advice about the forum itself. Sick of this message? Close it by clicking the "X" on the upper right.
people who write pnp rpg adventures...
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad April 2011
    About a year ago I remember I used to spend a good chunk of my precious free time bouncing around ideas for adventures. I haven't really committed any time or thought to it since I stopped being a DM (and I'm not sure if I'm better for it).

I think right now I'm trying to justify to myself what the point is unless you plan on running the adventure yourself. Frankly I wonder if I have the mettle for it, but I guess I'd give it another a crack--but that's not the point of this thread.

Do any of you who homebrew (all three of you) have a specific reason for why you do what you do?
  • NinielNiniel April 2011
    My players are like herding cats?
    And when it's my own story I slap in a magix bad guy/thing-a-bob to conter their sudden "wait, I'm going over there and I'll do nothing for 3 games then open a café".

Yes, my players are annoying me in my current game as well as the 2 fresly dead corpses at it's feets, can you tell?

Seriously though, what info are you looking for?
  • starfalconstarfalcon April 2011
    Why do I use so many hours each week writing adventures? I don't.

Most of the campaign details and story points are all in my head. My campaigns tend to flow together in some huge and dramatic way over the course of the year plus it takes to navigate them. I don't like things to be set in stone, I want my players to interact and change the story. The only stuff I write down are maps and stats for adventures and some occasional notes if I make stuff up on the fly.

Why do I do it? It's fun. It's a nice creative outlet for all the stories rattling around in my head. It keeps me sharp by reacting to my player's actions. Part of me lives for being a GM.

Not sure if that is what you are looking for...
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad April 2011
    Eigh, I dunno. A subjective "I get my jollies by doing X" sort of answer.

Like I said in OP, it seems like adventure writers usually are writing to run their own, but after DMing and just having to manage people, I don't really know if I want to go that way again. So it seems like amateur adventure writing is like wanking to me, and I don't know if I'm all right with that.
  • EugeneEugene April 2011
    Ryan Nock really sold me on the answer your first unspoken question:

raging drunk lad:

I think right now I'm trying to justify to myself what the point is unless you plan on running the adventure yourself.

I think it's fascinating to watch how two different sets of people explore the world and characters you create. If I had more time, I'd love to take a serious stab at it. One day I might.

raging drunk lad:

Do any of you who homebrew (all three of you) have a specific reason for why you do what you do?

Ed, you've seen most of my DnD arc. I used to homebrew but really needed to run some pre-mades in order to really understand the glue that brings an adventure together. But, outside of a TIME issue, I can't really see much point in doing anything but homebrew in the long term.
  • starfalconstarfalcon April 2011

raging drunk lad:

So it seems like amateur adventure writing is like wanking to me, and I don't know if I'm all right with that.

Almost any comment I make now is just going to end up being wrong.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad May 2011
    Be wrong. I command you.
  • starfalconstarfalcon May 2011
    Yes, amateur adventure writing is like wanking. It takes time, possibly some form of lubricant, and usually ends with an amazing release. Or it can be done quickly and with spit.
    Either way it's enjoyable.
    And since we are on the subject I enjoy a good... uh... yeah.
    I'm good at both.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Google

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

Tagged

Who's Online (0)