Welcome to the new YOSC forums! Feel free to start a thread and (re?) introduce yourself or offer some advice about the forum itself. Sick of this message? Close it by clicking the "X" on the upper right.
celebrity chefs
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad March 2011
    Does anyone pay attention to these?

I never really got into following the careers of professional chefs until I discovered Iron Chef, and even after that, I didn't really care too much. After Food Network became my default "background noise" as I worked on my computer, I started to pay attention to certain people, however.

Among them:

Alton Brown, Heston Blumenthal, Michael Smith and those guys from Food Jammers.

I kind of try to shy away from Jamie Oliver for some reason.
  • EugeneEugene March 2011
    I don't watch TV except occassionally on Hulu so I'm unfamiliar with the Food Network, Iron Chef, etc. That said, when researching the best way to cook a steak (one of the few things I can actually cook well), I ran into Alton Brown's "recipe" (more like, "a few tips") on the Food Network site, I was very impressed. The method described therein produces the best-tasting homemade steak I've ever had. Since then, I've watched the occassional Alton Brown video on the site when something I'm attempting to cook happens to also be something he has a video about, and I've been impressed with the results. Dude knows his shit.
    Check out Heston Blumenthal's take on steak.

His "In Search of Perfection" stuff isn't very practical, but it's interesting to watch.
    Can't watch those videos in my country. :(

Edit: Found a different Blumenthal video on Youtube... I assume you're talking about the 24hr steak? With the blowtorch? :p
    Belated, but yup, that's the one.
    That wasn't even interesting to watch! Interesting to hear about, perhaps. "Some guy tried to cook steak with a blowtorch." Anything more than that, short of actually attempting it, would be giving the experience too much credit...
    I'm guessing that it was this file that you watched?

Well, you're right, there isn't much entertainment value in it--certainly not an "Alton Brown" sort of way. It's much more of a documentary style that reflects his style of molecular gastronomy. I guess you either have an appreciation for hearing about each ingredient and why it was chosen and prepared a certain way for it to feel like a worthwhile experience.
    That wasn't the file. It was, like, him in his kitchen with a home video camera and he basically didn't talk the whole time. So you kind of watch him just... standing there, blowtorching a steak. For like five minutes. Afterwards he briefly explains that he's now putting it in the oven, and then that's that. It was pretty awful. That video you linked to is much better. It's all in the presentation!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Google

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

Who's Online (0)