Welcome to the new YOSC forums! Feel free to start a thread and (re?) introduce yourself or offer some advice about the forum itself. Sick of this message? Close it by clicking the "X" on the upper right.
the adventures of ledo and ix
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad February 2011
    Does anyone watch this over on Penny Arcade?

I watched through the first four episodes today and they're all less than four minutes long. I kind of hope that the points that they are prodding at are building toward some sort of breakthrough in the plot, but if the trend continues... I feel like I'm wasting my time with it. Like given the format it was presented in, what they're doing with it is sort of a wasted opportunity.

Anyone else have an opinion of it?
  • February 2011
    I've been watching it since I first noticed it up on PATV, and it's amusing. At only clocking 4 minutes, there's only so much they can do, but it feels to me like they're doing a good job poking fun at old RPGs. They can't keep the same thing up forever, so I'm also hoping it develops a bit more.
  • EugeneEugene February 2011
    Seems to me like the entire point is the juxtaposition of classic RPG tropes with the deeper soul-searching/navel-gazing that those games typically lacked. I couldn't find much of value in that formula... I agree with you guys, they need to shake it up to keep it interesting.

Also, speaking of PATV, did anyone else notice that the guys doing Season 2 (Vantage Point) are nowhere NEAR as awesome as 2-Player Productions that did the first? 2-Player was able to build a spectacular narrative in most episodes, building on an idea and eventually bringing the idea to some sort of dramatic conclusion via an awesome interview or quote. Listening to the DVD commentary, my impression is that this was the result of doing tons and tons and tons of interview footage and editing all those hours down to ten minutes... when only one-in-a-hundred minutes makes the final cut, you get some great episodes. And they edited them cleverly, using music perfectly.

Vantage Point seems to lack all that... it seems like we're hearing the first words that come out of their interviewee's mouths, and that's that. 2-Player knew how to dig and assemble, Vantage doesn't appear to know either... or is it just me?
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad March 2011
    I sort of stopped watching PATV at the end of Season 1. Not because of disinterest, but more like I was really busy and fell out of a lot of internet habits at the time.

I'll keep that in mind if I have a moment to play catch-up, though.
  • EugeneEugene March 2011
    Well, when you get to 2-14, (yet another) Child's Play episode, has a very good example of what I mean. The coordinator of child's play, I believe her name is Kristen Lindsey or something, they quote her like a third of the way into the episode, and she says something really heartwarming about how these gifts may be incredibly important for some kids for whom these games may be, tragically, the last fun thing they'll ever do. It was easily the most important, heartwarming, and convincing line of the episode, but in terms of editing it was just thrown in, in the middle, where it didn't matter as much. I bet 2PP would have ended the episode with that. All their episodes are filled with missed opportunities and strange quote choices.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Google

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

Tagged

Who's Online (0)