Welcome to the new YOSC forums! Feel free to start a thread and (re?) introduce yourself or offer some advice about the forum itself. Sick of this message? Close it by clicking the "X" on the upper right.
music and the noughties
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad February 2011
    So, from 2000 to 2010... who notably made a mark in music?

'Cos I notice that a lot of the things I listen to now are still from the 90s or are bands I got into in the 90s.
  • NinielNiniel February 2011
    I started getting into 30 seconds to Mars recently.. very good...

Other then that... I'll get back to you after some googling.
  • EugeneEugene February 2011
    Well, you know about Girl Talk. I'd say that what he's doing is both important as far as fair use law is concerned as well as in terms of representing how the mix-and-remix thought process has become far larger than when it was merely used for electronic music. Danger Mouse deserves some credit here, too.

Kanye West was all over the last decade, I'd say his effect on rap is comparable to Jackson's effect on pop thirty years ago. Second place in rap probably goes to Eminem -- his first LP was 1999 but close enough. Jay Z and Wu-Tang turned rap into a commercial enterprise in the 90's and you can see 50 Cent, Lil Wayne, etc taking advantage of this for the last decade, but I don't think they "made a mark" as much as the above two.

2000-2010 was defintiely the decade of the indie band, too, considering how many "blogosphere" bands made it huge, especially in the mid-to-later part of the decade. Best example is probably The Arcade Fire, went from 0 to 160 in no time at all thanks to webzine Pitchfork.

On the other hand, the most influential and largest traditionally "critically-acclaimed" rock act of the last decade might be The White Stripes.

As much as I'm completely disinterested, gotta mention Lady Gaga in any thread talking about making a mark on music in the last decade. The Madonna comparisons are completely fair.

Edit: Relevant, though not necessarily accurate: http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=2000s&genre_include=1&genres=&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=
    Really? The White Stripes? I haven't remembered much press from them since maybe 2006 when they guest starred on the Simpsons.
    Well, you did say the whole decade. They've been quiet for a while now but I'm pretty sure they damn well made their mark during the first half of the decade.
    Bit off topic, but who/what did you go out to see tonight, Eugene?
  • NinielNiniel February 2011
    Ok, so Wikipedia prooved me wrong and made me realize my sense of time is screwed.. 30 Seconds to Mars started in the late 90s so probably should not count.

Linkin Park however was 2000.

raging drunk lad:

Bit off topic, but who/what did you go out to see tonight, Eugene?

I saw Girl Talk... for the last time. Not that he doesn't put on a good show, quite the opposite... I just can't really get into the sort of party atmosphere he's trying to create, and I also feel a bit of a pedo... fifteen and sixteen year old girls EVERYWHERE at his shows.

Going to see Godspeed You Black Emperor in March, that should be a completely different kind of crowd... also got tickets to Deftones, and Sleigh Bells/CSS, but don't know when that even is.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Google

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

Who's Online (0)