Welcome to the new YOSC forums! Feel free to start a thread and (re?) introduce yourself or offer some advice about the forum itself. Sick of this message? Close it by clicking the "X" on the upper right.
Pathfinder
  • starfalconstarfalcon November 2010
    So who all has tried the Pathfinder rules out?
    After dm'ing it for 12 levels I have noticed one thing: Paladins are very powerful.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad December 2010
    Not yet.

I kind of want to try out that magical mumbo jumbo for sorcerers, though.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad January 2011
    Oh, snap. Ultimate Combat. Gunslinger, Ninja and Samurai classes.

I heard that the last two are kind of lackluster (with the Ninja being a monk+rogue and the Samurai being a reflavoured Cavalier), but dang. Gunslinger.
  • starfalconstarfalcon February 2011
    Better late than never. I actually enjoyed reading all four new classes (at least the beta playtest versions). The ninja looks okay, but the Samurai looks fun.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad February 2011
    There is a fourth? What is it?
    The Magus from Ultimate Magic. Sort of out of context, sorry.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad February 2011
    Ever played Witch or Summoner? I'm kind of interested in those.
    I'm dying to try out the witch. The pcs in my game have a summoner enemy, she's rather frightening but I can't say I have had the chance to use her more than once or twice.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad March 2011
    Okay, so I think I'm going to play Magus for the Carrion Crown adventure path.

Anything to say about it, dear Gay Keith?
  • NinielNiniel March 2011
    Unrelated to witches, but am currently palying a Druid with the Monk variant and the Desrt environment subtype... which kinds of rock.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad April 2011
    Question... I guess anyone who's played 3.5e could answer this:

What's wrong with DEX builds? My Magus is proficient with rapiers which means if I use them I can take Weapon Finesse to apply my DEX mod instead of STR to attack. While this will lower my damage (if there's a huge difference between my DEX and STR) it will increase my attack and AC.

The neckbeards on /tg/ highly discouraged me from a DEX build, saying that I was setting myself up to be a non-contributor in later levels. Is this true? My rogue has been pretty much been becoming ever-powerful (Two-Weapon Fighter, Weapon Finesse, etc) so I'm wondering why it wouldn't work here.
  • NinielNiniel April 2011
    My take on it is that these builds (whcih happens to be my favorites) don't have the "big number" effect. You don't do 150 trillion points of damage in one hit, but you do consistent damages over and over...

The issue, at higher levels, are the the monsters start having either really good armor (which you're fine against and still touch) and -damage reduction-.

The damage reduction kills your efficiency, since it drops your already "low" damage input sometimes to near zero... you you hit all the time but don't actually make a dent in the monster's HP. While the STR build hits once in a while, but actually makes damage by way of overflowing the dmg compensation..

However if your group is smart at those level you either have a magic weapon of some kind that will pally that (fire effect, keen, whatever attached to it).

Or if your group is good, they'll use the fact that you hit all the time and either buff/debuff the monster to your advantage or use your character to make the big damage dealer always be flanking so they can hit more often.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad April 2011
    Gragh! Damage reduction... I forgot all about that.

The way we got around it with my halfling two-weapon rogue was by giving him a Belt of Vigor along with gloves that allow him to carry weapons one size larger. He also carries a few potions of Enlarge Person so he can basically become a Human TWF rogue who wields large-sized rapiers.

Ach. I hope I roll high when generating the scores for my Magus. I wanted to put INT as my high stat since my character will be the only arcane caster in the party (and probably the only one who'll be expected to have ranks in Knowledge skills), but it looks like STR might have to take priority.
  • NinielNiniel April 2011
    Str Magus?

If it rock your boat, but I tend to shy away from them... but then again I've been lucky in my group to be able to do purely INT/WIS/CHA characters (depending ont he concept) with the option of "this guy is big, I'll be hiding in the back/on top of the tree/ behind your left calf" and letting the designated tank take the beating for me...
  • starfalconstarfalcon April 2011
    Sorry been a little preoccupied.
    I'm waiting to see what the actual Magus class turns out to be like. The class as printed has some serious dangers to game balance. A multi-class cleric 2/magus 8/mystic theurge 10 with a scorpion whip from Adventurer's Armory comes to mind. (Yes this guy has 15 ft reach or 20 with Righteous Might, can deliver Harm with his whip, and opens an important combat with spell synthesis Greater Heroism and Divine Power for a whopping +8 hit, downside his base attack blows)
    As to STR or DEX, I'd go DEX. You'll probably need the AC boost late in game to not get dead using spell combat.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad June 2011
    Getting back to this... I have to say, in recent months I've missed the nearly masochistic gameplay that is Pathfinder/3.5e.
  • starfalconstarfalcon June 2011
    We just completed my last campaign and are now on hiatus until August. I'm enjoying the break.
    Of course the next campaign I'm running is Dark Sun converted to Pathfinder rules. So with all the preliminary work I can't exactly call it a break...
    What splatbooks are you using for conversion reference? Or is it kind of a Dark Sun, homebrew-y frankenstein?
    I'm mixing and matching from the 3.5 Dark Sun articles in Dragon Magazine and the 3.5 stuff from Athas.org. The rest I'm just making up. So far the most difficult thing will be the monster conversions. I made a list of Pathfinder monsters that work but there are still a lot monsters I will need to convert.
    So I might be DMing a shits-n-giggles live campaign in the near future.

What kind of logistics should I be considering? Making HP/status tracking sheets for each encounter, maybe a white board for initiative tracking?

When I used to DM an IRC game I had .txt files for each encounter and for round tracking. It's been a while since I've had to set things up, and I'm keen on getting a tried and true method down in advance.
    White board for init is a really good idea. Also, if you are using minis, they make a white board grid, very handy.
    Also, depending on your players, ask for general character build plans. It avoids unnecessary complications.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Google

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

Tagged

Who's Online (0)