Welcome to the new YOSC forums! Feel free to start a thread and (re?) introduce yourself or offer some advice about the forum itself. Sick of this message? Close it by clicking the "X" on the upper right.
online lit
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad July 2010
    Anyone actually actively read online literature? Like a favourite author who publishes exclusively online or a friend's dA or FictionPress or whatever.

Something about it is kind of off-putting to me, to be honest, but it's pretty much the only game I have personally.

But it's weird. Whenever say... a webcomic posts some prose, I gloss over it--if I had to name an example, I'd say it was the prose posts over at Erfworld.
  • EugeneEugene July 2010
    I live for Penny Arcade posts. But I don't think that's what you mean.

For some reason, I associate online lit with fanfiction. Bunch of emo teens spouting uncreative nonsense. I say "for some reason" because I don't think online lit has ever done anything to deserve it. I guess there's some form of editorial control missing there. When I pick up a book, at the very least, I am assured that an editor has read it, and eventually deemed it good enough to publish and risk printing costs on. Any jackass can publish something online, though.

That said, if someone points me at a good read, I am open to changing my mind.
    Any way to dress up to make it a step above plain, unformatted text like you'll find on those fic sites and dA, or it doesn't matter because of the "online fanfic" stigma?
  • FerretFerret July 2010
    Wait, is there anything to online literature apart from fanfics? The idea seems kind of alien to me; if you write some good stuff you'd probably want to get it published to make a few bucks.

Don't be too worried about the fanfic stigma. I've read some that were good enough to save for a later read.
    Well, there are some perfectly reputable webcomics (ha) that I keep up with that sometimes update with prose. It's a little off-putting, but it doesn't interfere with the actual comic schedule so I guess I'm being too harsh. Like if it were posted anywhere else I'd probably just gloss over it and go "blah blah blah blah blah" in my head instead of giving it a fair chance.
  • FerretFerret July 2010
    Is prose poetry or some short story?
    Prose is ordinary writing.

Poetry falls within the purview of "verse".

EDIT:

While the first part is right, more correctly poetry is poetry, and what exactly is poetry is broad and complicated...
  • GaerlanGaerlan March 2011
    Resurrecting this topic, as it is relevant to my interests.

In keeping with my intention of buying that personal domain, I wonder which sites I ought to focus on for efficient coverage. Three immediately spring to mind:

• Elfwood - a "great granddaddy" of user-submitted online fantasy art and writing
    • FictionPress - popular at least
    • Booksie - I am willing to give it a try

I am purposefully ruling out deviantART despite its immense popularity. I simply do not think it is the wisest avenue for me personally since its primary focus is on visual art media.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Google

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

Who's Online (0)