Welcome to the new YOSC forums! Feel free to start a thread and (re?) introduce yourself or offer some advice about the forum itself. Sick of this message? Close it by clicking the "X" on the upper right.
general RPG thread
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad July 2010
    Yeah, so, I guess we ought to do one of these threads.

Whatcha playin' and with who?

And I'm kinda surprised to hear that Ben (Eugene's brother)'s taking a crack of being a DM.

Personally, I've been a DM for a coupla months, too.
  • EugeneEugene July 2010
    I keep forgetting about that for some reason.

4e fo' life, yo.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad July 2010
    Are there going to be any more supplements to the core books?

Like how much more life in expansions does 4e have? I've really been limiting my buying to core books and their expansions and letting character builder do the rest cos I don't want to be one of those grounded edition fans like those who stick only with 3.5.
  • EugeneEugene July 2010
    I've been very curious about that myself. I'd guess they only planned for three iterations of the core books. I don't see them making more than that, except for perhaps the Monster Manual, though it seems they are (wisely) more fond of publishing extra NPCs in supplement books like Underdark and so on.

Unfortunately, based on the Product Catalog for the next six months, it seems they're hedging their bets on the DnD Essentials thing to really be popular. Which I would assume it's not going to be, but you never know. I say unfortunately, but that's actually not so bad in the short term. It means the core DnD team will be free to do whatever they want with the core game, since the money-driving product will be Essentials anyway.

I get this feeling like DnD will be completely milked by the end of 2011. Where will DnD be in 2012? Way too soon for a 5e.
  • The+Auth0rThe Auth0r August 2010
    /rez

They'll probably relaunch d20 modern, because if you're roleplaying it's all supposed to be by Wizards!

I'm in 2.5 4E games (.5 for occasionally doing a fill-in with one of the normal groups). A Supernatural (Margret Weis' Cortex System), a Rifts (which is Palladium officially, but we're converting to Fate), and a Dresden Files (Evil Hat's Fate). And I'm set to GM Scion again soonish. This is just with two groups.

I like Fate except for the fact that it only uses D6 and I really like the option to roll different dice once in a while. I'm also a little twinge-y on it's format for skills since they don't quite shake out in a way I like, but it's not prohibitively terrible.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad August 2010
    Jesus. Your schedule sounds like it's booked more solidly than mine.
  • NinielNiniel August 2010
    Hum...
    Changing Breeds, Heroes (officially Palladium but we converted it to Shadowrun system). I'm DMing Shadowrun. And I have about a dozen solo games in various stand by modes.
    Anyone free in the next two weeks for a session or two on week nights?

I've only got two reliable players and since I plan on getting out of DMing for the time being I owe it to them to end on a high note. I was thinking of giving them a big, satisfying boss fight, maybe even having them square off against Orcus or Demogorgon or something.
  • The+Auth0rThe Auth0r August 2010
    Not sure. Like you said I'm booked between work and games.

But the games actually aren't as stacked as it seems. It's 3-6pm on Weds, 7-10pm on Weds, and every other Sun from 5pm-12am. It's the rotation that really allows us to play as much as we do on Wednesdays. We've tried other games in those slots, too. MWP's Smallville and Leverage (Leverage was awesome, if simplistic, and Smallville was waaaaaay too centered on trying to create teen angst, making it the core mechanic). Also MWP's Serenity, which mostly died because half the players never showed and we reclaimed the rotation slot for Rifts.
    Details, details for y'all.

Level 30 epic battle against Tarrasque. Going to have to come up with a scenario and everything (might have to break up the encounter so that it's equal parts out of combat skill challenge and "Tarrasque Battle Part 1, 2, etc"), but that's what I'm planning on.

While they might not roll new characters for this, the current party as they stand are a Kenku assassin and a Dragonborn fighter.

We also use MapTool, so that might be another strike against us.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad September 2010
    OH LAWDY, I JUST ROLLED THREE CONSECUTIVE CRITS.

/CRUISE CONTROL
  • starfalconstarfalcon October 2010
    Running two paizo rules DnD and playing in two also. Two groups, both alternate.
    I miss diversity. I haven't played Rifts, Shadowrun, Vampire (etc), or anything else in forever.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad October 2010
    As much as I miss mixing it up with the group I used to run, I think I'm spoiled on stability with Eugene's campaigns.

The two Pathfinder games I'm in sometimes randomly cancel, sometimes without us knowing until we've sat around for a couple of hours.
  • starfalconstarfalcon October 2010
    That's lame, my groups are pretty regular. If we have to skip we almost always have a weeks notice.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad December 2010
    I'm starting to question the value of adventure writing. I mean with the conceit that it's expected that DMs will pick up and play it. Because... DMs typically build to the point that after a few one-shots or adventures they want to exclusively run their own homebrews, don't they?

Well, I don't know. It seems to be kind of demotivating right now since I don't have the time to DM myself.
  • NinielNiniel January 2011
    It depends on the DM. I tend to run homebrew worlds and adventures to limit the rule-lawyer in my group.
    "It's my world and i make the rulings now shut-up!" is, unfortunately a useful phrase around him.

But I've known DM that run only adventures from the books.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Google

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

Who's Online (0)