Welcome to the new YOSC forums! Feel free to start a thread and (re?) introduce yourself or offer some advice about the forum itself. Sick of this message? Close it by clicking the "X" on the upper right.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad July 2010
    Oh snap.

I got into the beta.

EDIT:

Damn it! My video card is too old!
  • NinielNiniel July 2010
    A tiny part of me died of jealousy right there.
  • July 2010
    I'm also in the beta, Ed.

However, there's a current problem with the client, which causes various ATI video cards to have a lot of slowdown during gameplay. It was so bad that once I finished the instanced starting thing, my framerate never went above 5 fps.

My hope is they fix this fast. The game looks very pretty, even in the current stage, and I'm interested in seeing how it works out.

EDIT: I probably should have mentioned that I use an ATI Radeon HD 4800, or something very close to that. According to the beta forums, A LOT of ATI cards are suffering the same problem.
  • EugeneEugene July 2010
    There's a new FF MMO? I would not have predicted that.

Nice knowing you, Peter.
  • July 2010
    I doubt I'll be buying it, but I opted in for the beta when the option was given. I wanted to test the waters with FFIV, but in all honesty, there's other prospective MMOs I'd play before this one (examples include The Old Republic and Secret World).

As far as the beta goes, SE has had a very rigid and short beta testing schedule. They only have testing periods for a few hours at a time, and only every couple of days. There was a testing period today, but do to maintenance during the schedule, overloaded login servers, and an early end, I didn't even get to go past the character screen. They had said they had implemented a temporary measure to improve slowdown, and wanted to see if I could actually do some testing. Alas, it was not the case. I guess I'll be trying again whenever they do the next test time next week.

EDIT: I forgot to bring this up, but it's not particularly surprising Square-Enix decided to do another MMO. FFXI was immensely popular, and I believe is still so today. Considering the time frame involved, it's right around time for a new MMO and try to improved upon their last iteration. I'm curious to see how that has worked out.
    Almost makes me hesitate to buy a new video card.

But then again, it'd be nice to -really- play Bioshock, so I guess it's a good investment.
  • EugeneEugene July 2010
    Just be careful which one you buy. Do some research first. If you're spending more than $100, it's easy to go wrong. Tom's Hardware has some excellent "Best Video For The Money" columns which have made my advice on the topic almost entirely useless outside of pointing you at those articles.

And Peter, you're right... it makes sense now that I think about it. I guess FFXI might just be one of the few successful MMOs. I just hadn't thought about it.
    Grah. Won't be able to play for almost two weeks--just placed my order for my new vid card today.

Also a new monitor. Joining the multi-monitor club here.
    Got my monitor and card hooked in a couple of days ago. Finally got to play and create characters, but experience massive lag and general connection issues.

I wish I knew for sure what was my (computer's) fault and what part is Square-Enix's.
  • July 2010
    I got some sit-down time with it yesterday, too. There were some framerate issues, but it was much improved from my first time trying to play. I could actually move around and do stuff!

They seem to be putting a much heavier emphasis on quests in FFXIV, with the whole guildleve/aetherite system. It *may* make the prospect of soloing/duoing much more possible than it was in FFXI, but it's hard to tell right now. I had enough guildleves to get to roughly physical level 6, but then I got stuck. There were more guildleves for level 10 characters, but there was a gap that I was unsure of how to fill.

The lag is most likely partly on SE's side, Ed. I was getting small hiccups in latency while playing, most likely due to the number of people online in any given realm. The number of players on was so high that a system message went out at one point asking people to leave the newbie area and move on to a higher level region.

If you were experiencing "massive lag", though, that sounds like a connection issue. Do you have a network firewall/router? That may be the culprit.
    So far it's beautiful--when it works. I mean the scenery is really detailed and the music is great, and I've finally acclimated to the keyboard controls, but the lag spikes literally kill me.
    Ba-dump.

I've got characters on Gabranth, Garland and Emperor. Actually partied with someone today and even if we were just a couple of Lancers stabbing the crap out of mobs it was pretty fun.
  • EugeneEugene July 2010
    This thread thoroughly confuses me every time I check it because of the title. I keep opening it thinking, "A dozen replies in a thread about final fantasy four? Why do I not remember this thread?" and then read the replies for a bit before realizing it's XIV, the MMO.

Yeah, that's all I have to say.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad August 2010
    Yeah, it's also my fault for omitting that "X" from the title.

I'm actually enjoying this game a lot. But I doubt I'll buy it. Well, we'll see.
    Probably going to preorder this. We'll see after Beta 3.

Mourning the deletion of my Miqo'te lancer already.
  • August 2010
    Wow, sounds like you're really enjoying it.

I haven't had time to try FFXIV since the second phase began. Maybe I'll get a chance this weekend.
    Beta 2's over, dawg.

We're all waiting on the go-ahead from SE for Beta 3. Linkshells and auction house ahoy!
    Right. I'm going ATI next time I need a new graphics card.
  • EugeneEugene August 2010

raging drunk lad:

Right. I'm going ATI next time I need a new graphics card.

what happen?
    Someone set us up the bomb.

There's a persistent infinite loop error thanks to nv4_disp.dll that doesn't seem to have a straight-up solution.
  • Downside-upDownside-up August 2010
    How's the leveling?

Or whatever they use for character progression.
This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Google

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

Who's Online (0)