Welcome to the new YOSC forums! Feel free to start a thread and (re?) introduce yourself or offer some advice about the forum itself. Sick of this message? Close it by clicking the "X" on the upper right.
  • EugeneEugene March 2009
    How much do you drink? This is YOSC, so I suspect such a topic has probably been covered but tastes/addictions change.

How do you drink? Quality matter? Where do you get your coffee? And you know what, we all love tea, let's leave tea out of this thread. If possible. This is YOSC.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad March 2009
    I'm in an unfortunate "beggars can't be choosers" scenario. I can drink up to 8 cups (as in 64 ounces) of coffee in a day, but it's a personal ritual to start the day with just two cups. And by "unfortunate" I mean I drink Maxwell House. Ugh. It's awful.

I think I usually drink Komodo Dragon Starbucks coffee. My sister works at one, so she receives a pound of coffee regularly as part of her markout. She got me an Aeropress coffee filtre for Christmas, and it makes coffee perfect. One cup at a time, mind you, but it's probably the best cup of any coffee you'll ever have.
  • EugeneEugene March 2009
    Oh god, I love the Aeropress. What an awesome purchase. Thanks for reminding me about that thing. I use it every day so it's become so ingrained in my routine I forget that some people don't have them. READER: Buy an Aeropress.

It makes up to four cups, by the way. Though in practice when I stir it tends to foam up just enough to make it unpressable, especially oily blends. Still, I regularly make two cups at a time, and sometimes three.
  • NinielNiniel March 2009
    I drink a lot less coffee now-a-says then I used to in college. I mostly drink tea at work (my desk is starting to feature a nice collection).

What coffee I do drink (other then the sludge from the machine at work for those mornings were my eyes just cannot locate their proper sockets) I buy in Little Italia. In a small-ish coffee and accessories place. They mix the beans just for you, so you get a personalized blend each time. Then they grind it in front of you. I use a small French Press since I'm the only one in my appartement who drinks the stuff.
  • starfalconstarfalcon March 2009
    I have one cup of the caffeinated stuff in the morning. Could be sludge for all I care at that point. Any coffee consumed after this point must be good. I usually drink decaf during the day though.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad August 2011
    :arise:

Has anyone tried vacuum-brewed coffee?
  • August 2011
    I don't like anything but cold coffee. So I'm a Mocha Frappachino Starbucks person. I don't drink it often though. My main source of get up and go is soda. Lots and lots of soda.
  • starfalconstarfalcon August 2011

raging drunk lad:

Has anyone tried vacuum-brewed coffee?

I have not. I am suddenly very curious though.
  • EugeneEugene August 2011
    I've never tried it either. What's the advantage? The Wikipedia entry you link says it was prized for creating a clear brew, but most types of modern coffee productions, except of course the French Press, create a sendiment-free cup...
  • FerretFerret August 2011
    I drink around 4 cups of coffee every day. It's all instant. 
    I've cut myself back to two cups in the morning. I've found that I can't sleep before midnight if I drink coffee past five or six.
  • Downside-upDownside-up August 2011
    I drink tea.

I never really got into coffee. Too bitter unless it's a blended drink or the like. The appeal is not within my ability to comprehend. :\
    A good coffee should not be bitter. But it's really tough to accomplish that at home without spending a ton of time and money.
  • August 2011
    I screwed up yesterday and had a Red Bull and then a mocha frappacino. :-t I wouldn't suggest that to anyone. Let alone someone who doesn't drink them often.
    Ever had coffee made from a percolator, Eugene?
    Nope. I've heard it's an acquired taste. Still, if there was a percolator, somewhere, and there was fresh coffee beans near that percolator, and there was a person who knew how to combine the two to create coffee.... I wouldn't be opposed to trying it. Not really sure I'd go out of my way unless someone was making a particular recommendation, though. Are you?
    Nope. Never had, plan to try some day.

I think the next thing on my coffee to-buy list is a burr grinder first, though. After that is a reasonably priced siphon coffee maker... Though I doubt that the taste of siphon coffee is very different from Aeropress coffee. I'm probably wrong, though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Google

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

Who's Online (0)