Welcome to the new YOSC forums! Feel free to start a thread and (re?) introduce yourself or offer some advice about the forum itself. Sick of this message? Close it by clicking the "X" on the upper right.
anime & manga
  • ElsewiseElsewise October 2011
    fma brotherhood. <3
  • Downside-upDownside-up October 2011
    Oh, hey there.
    Why are so many of the things Nisio Isin (Death Note, Bakemanogatari, Katanagatari, Medaka Box) writes so difficult to comprehend?

Especially Medaka Box. Jesus.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad October 2011
    Well, I really wouldn't give him credit for Death Note since he wasn't involved with the original manga.

The -gataris were light novels, so they're subject to the limitations of their format.

Medaka Box is his first and only manga right now, so... yeah. I don't really know what to tell you with Medaka. I bailed out right around the time she defeated that superball guy.
    It's not even that the plot doesn't make sense, because it makes enough sense, it's that none of the things the characters say follow any sort of logic.

They say things but they have no discernible meaning, and I don't think it's bad scanlation so much as just crazy Japanese pseudologic, because occasionally I read this batshit insane stuff in other manga. It just seems more likely to occur in anything he's involved in.

Bakemanogatari (the little bit of it I saw) and Katangatari didn't have that much though, it was just once in a while I had to stop and think "what the fuck did they just try to say?"

Medaka Box, though? Man. Sometimes it would make just as much sense if you removed all the dialog.

Also I don't know if you've checked back with it out of curiosity at any time, but things get exponentially crazier every few chapters. Superball guy was like the first step up the Tower of Babel.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad October 2011
    Yeah, no. I saw what was coming and I'm glad that I never got back to it. Even for a manga, I just couldn't force myself to accept the fictional reality that was presented to me. It was just too frustrating, if that's the correct word to describe the sensation.

I was fine with the initial premise and then it became a battle manga out of nowhere.
    A good move on your part.
    Guilty Crown
    Nothing too unique so far, but it is Production I.G so who cares. Has potential.

Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing
    First one was good. I refuse to believe that this won't be as well. Seems to be a direct sequel in one way or another because Dio is still alive (and having watched the first Last Exile with english dubs I was a little confused because he's voiced by a woman).

Un-go
    Interesting so far. Detective anime with supernatural elements.

Fate/Zero
    Good so far. Better than the Fate/Stay Night anime, but then again it's been a while and I'm not familliar with the source material aside from a bit of wiki reading.

Phi Brain
    I rather like this anime. The parallels to Yu-gi-oh aren't unjustified, and it's hard to imagine they weren't intentional.

C3
    Cute, but boring, contrived, and convoluted. I ended up fast-forwarding through most of the second episode.

Ben-to
    A strange concept that I'd like to give a chance, but I dislike the main character so I'm not going to. At the core it seems like it's just a shounen battle anime anyway so I doubt I'm missing anything.

Horizon
    Didn't even make it through the first episode. Hell, I hardly made it through the OP. Obviously not much to say other than it was too fan service-y (as gg put it: "full of disgusting pig tits") and my instincts yelled "DELETE THIS SHIT."
  • Downside-upDownside-up November 2011
    I just read two chapters of Medaka Box by a different scanlation team than I usually see.

SUDDENLY, I CAN UNDERSTAND WHAT THE CHARACTERS ARE SAYING.

Why do people with a poor grasp of English and/or Japanese try to translate manga?
  • Downside-upDownside-up December 2011
    Mawaru Penguindrum ended.
    I'm sure there some way to make sense of this anime. Some way.

• raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad December 2011
    WELCOME TO ROCK 'N' ROLL NIGHT! WELCOME TO ROCK 'N' ROLL FIGHT!

The things I was watching actively just ended: Working'!! and Ikamusume s2.

One of these days I'm going to go back to Penguindrum. One of these days.
  • Downside-upDownside-up January 2012
    Gainax is going to animate Medaka Box.

The fan service is so strong I can already see it.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad January 2012
    I kind of want to get back to Medaka Box. The mango, anyway. I don't think my mind could take watching it animated.

I heard about Recorder to Randoseru off of /a/, so as a prerequisite I watched all of Morita-San wa Mukuchi. They're both made up of 3 minute episodes adapted from 4koma, and I could use the gags.
    I can't seem to get into 4koma adaptations enough to watch a full season of them.

I haven't even finished Cromartie High, which I really like.
    Guilty Crown

Suffered from bad pacing near the end. Nearly all the vital plot points and motivations were revealed in the last episode, and they left a large chunk of the cast undeveloped. A shame because I rather liked it besides all that. Makes me sad how many animus end up with this sort of problem.

There's a mango, so maybe I'll read that and see if they can flesh things out better.
    Another
    The manga was fairly interesting but the scanlation was pretty slow, so I'm pretty happy this is an anime now. It's sort of an odd supernatural thriller with plenty of character deaths.

Mouretsu Pirates
    I expected this to be mostly fan service, but if the first episode is anything to judge it by it seems to have potential and I can't recall any upskirts or gratuitous Gianax bounce. Also space pirates so who cares!

Rinne no Lagrange
    Girls in mecha. I'll have a better opinion of it later I suppose. It's interesting enough to keep watching it, but hard to describe as anything particularly noteworthy yet.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear
    Magical girls with battle suits evoked through singing, fighting the aliens from Space Channel 5. Played straight.

Aquarion EVOL
    I didn't watch the first Aquarion, but from the first episode (technically it's the first two episodes combined into one long episode) I can tell I missed out on something really absurd. Thank goodness I get another chance to partake in the anime about mechas powered by spontaneous-orgasms. Couldn't keep a straight face on during the fights to save my life.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad January 2012
    Daily Lives of High School Boys is my favourite of the season right now.

In fact it's the only thing from this season that I'm watching right now.
    Guilty Crown is apparently not over. Disregard what I said about it earlier, I guess.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Google

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

Who's Online (0)