Welcome to the new YOSC forums! Feel free to start a thread and (re?) introduce yourself or offer some advice about the forum itself. Sick of this message? Close it by clicking the "X" on the upper right.
Read any good books?
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad June 2010
    So I'm about to finish reading Bones of the Dragon by Weis and Hickman. I sped through it when I got interested, I admit, but I'm about about 50 pages away from finishing and... I'm kind of groaning. It's the first in a series and I have to judge it within that context, but I have to say that in retrospect... I'm just not taken. I'll finish it just to finish, but I'm not going to hurry into the second book. To me it's just like one of those shows on TV you randomly start watching and sort of get into, but when you miss an episode and kind of forget about it for a while you realize it didn't mean much to you.
  • EugeneEugene June 2010
    After reading (the also excellent) The Man Who Was Thursday, I grabbed G.K. Chesterton's The Complete Father Brown, a collection of Chesterton's mystery short stories featuring a priest who is also a detective. I'm not a big mystery fan, but I love mysteries that give you all the clues you need to solve it before solving it for you. Nearly each one of these does that, but they're also all the perfect length. A short story is supposed to be read in one sitting, but some authors have no respect for this and make ridiculously long short stories.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad March 2011
    Dragons of Winter Night by Hickman and Weis.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad March 2011
    Okay, now I'm onto the last book of the Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy: Dragons of Spring Dawning.
  • March 2011
    I read the first book in The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher: Storm Front. Not a bad read, doesn't require too much input to enjoy,
  • EugeneEugene June 2011
    I also plan on reading Storm Front at some point. I did finish an thoroughly enjoy Michael Swanwick's The Dragons of Babel. I would hesitate to recommend it unless you are prepared for... well, there's a masturbating transsexual one-man/woman-act in a club the character visits at one point. It's a not-so-subtle statement about the state of Babelese nobility.

Also, there's this fucking crazy young girl named Esme who -- well, read the book. It's nice to read a single-volume fantasy book that holds a new surprise in every chapter. The world of Babel is fascinating, too. Trying to imagine this crazy place in the mind's eye is a challenge, as your perception of the world is challenged constantly.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad June 2011
    So I finished the Dragonlance Legends trilogy a few days ago, and it seems like now is a good time to hunker down and start Eragon again from the beginning and take it like a champ.

Dragonlance just made me miss playing D&D.

Hopefully Eragon will do the opposite.
  • FerretFerret June 2011

Ferret:

I've nearly chewed my way through The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton. Damn good sci-fi.

Here we are a few years later, and I got done reading the third book in the trilogy last month. If anyone is into good sci-fi, you really should look into books written by this guy.
    Of his books, I've read:

Pandora's Star
    Judas Unchained

The Dreaming Void
    The Temporal Void
    The Evolutionary Void

All these books take place in the same universe, so I recommend you start from the top.
  • June 2011
    Currently reading The Name of the Wind, although I've been falling behind in it since I'm also currently reading Tactics of Scientific Research. As you can guess, it's about as exciting as a textbook.
  • NinielNiniel August 2011

Steampunk 2 Steampunk reloaded : was pretty good. odd mix for some of the stories

Zero History : most recent of the Gibson books.

Been slowy reading my way though Psyren (mangas are books too!)

• kevykevy August 2011
    Currently reading [I]The Name of the Wind[/I], although I've been falling behind in it since I'm also currently reading [I]Tactics of Scientific Research[/I]. As you can guess, it's about as exciting as a textbook.

Enjoy Name of the Wind while you can. Rothfuss takes a squat on about 1/3 of the portion of the sequel. Still good, but kind of stinky. Just finished A Dance with Dragons :3 Also just read A Canticle for Leibowitz on a whim. a 50's post-apocalypse classic novel I never got around to reading. Pretty fantastic. 
  • August 2011

I'm on The Wise Man's Fear right now, and I'm almost halfway through it. I haven't gotten to any terrible points yet; nothing as bad as the first few chapters of The Name of the Wind.

• EugeneEugene August 2011
    kevy said: Rothfuss takes a squat on about 1/3 of the portion of the sequel. Still good, but kind of stinky.

I wasn't the biggest fan in the world of either book, but Kvothe cuts a compelling hero. Not really sure how Rothfuss could ruin only 1/3rd of a book without ruining the character as a whole. Which particular portion are you referring to?

Spoiler:
    Was it the somewhat boring trip to the Fae realm?
  • November 2011
    So.. I'm out of books to read. Suggestions?
  • November 2011

I'm not all that certain what types of books you like Darkhart but I recently took these on the plane ride to San Diego and I liked these.

1. In Search of the Rose Notes - by Emily Arsenault

2. The Devil's Star (A Harry Hole Novel) - by Jo Nesbo

3. Cemetery Girl - by David Bell

• NinielNiniel December 2011
    Just read Axis (the squel to Spin). Was good but seems it very much suffered from the book in the middle syndrome. Reserving full judgement until I've read Vortex.
  • December 2011
    I have now finished the sixth book in the Dresden Files (Blood Rites), and am reading Inheritance. After that's over, I got book seven of Dresden Files.
  • FerretFerret December 2011
    My brother gave me a poetry pamphlet that was printed in 1907 for my birthday. I'm going to learn it by heart and recite it to him at every opportunity. 

It's a very nice gift. 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Google

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

Tagged

Who's Online (0)