Welcome to the new YOSC forums! Feel free to start a thread and (re?) introduce yourself or offer some advice about the forum itself. Sick of this message? Close it by clicking the "X" on the upper right.
Read any good books?
  • EugeneEugene January 2007

Elsewise:

I wonder if everyone's read Life of Pi by Yan Martel? Narrative style and story was interesting, but I think the tongue-in-cheek playfulness came off a bit too posh, too built for me.

I think Jean-Pierre Jeunet (City of Lost Children, Amelie, A Very Long Engagement) is filming Life of Pi as his next project.
  • The+Auth0rThe Auth0r January 2007
    I'm now on to Gaiman's Anansi Boys which I'm thuroughly enjoying. If done correctly (and who knows if it would be) this would make a really fun movie. Possibly better than I think American Gods would make, since I fear that a lot would get dropped from that book. I can definently picture some cool dream-sequence-ish stuff with the Anansi stories Gaiman intersperses with the main plotline.

After that it's Snow Crash and Count Zero, not to mention Nine Princes whenever we get started.
  • The+Auth0rThe Auth0r January 2007
    And I'm on to Snow Crash. It's interesting. And how can you not love a character named Hiro Protagonist?
  • EugeneEugene January 2007
    Reading Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun, cementing my opinion of him as the best writer I've ever read.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad April 2007
    Plan on starting One Hundred Years of Solitude tonight.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad May 2007
    Looks like I'm back to One Hundred Years until we do a new book club thingy.
  • NinielNiniel May 2007
    I finished Spin a couple of weeks ago. Very good. Some parts felt longer then other, but all in all an enjoyable, fast paced read. I like that the author apologises at the end for any flaws in the science exposed in the book.

I've also read Fables : 1001 nights of Snowfall. Pretty good, I liked the variation on the 1000 nights theme.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad May 2007
    Starting to read Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk on Marg's recommendation.
  • MargMarg May 2007

raging drunk lad:

Starting to read Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk on Marg's recommendation.

Yeah. I pretty much rock.

Well... I liked it anyway. Still like it. I'm still reading it. ... And about five other books.
  • NinielNiniel July 2007
    Urrm, let's see. Refinished Pattern Recognition because I needed something to read at work and I didn't want to go into new-book territory.

Now a hundredish pages into Neuromancer. I think I might go pick up the other books soon. I'm in some nearly weird mood for cyberpunk.

Anyways. read Games of thrones. I liked it until about the last quarter, where it seems the author lost count of all his plot tread and just started hacking trough them with a machete.

Chewed my way trough Blunt : les treize dernier jours, as i had been unable to finish it the first time I attempted to read it. The author (Jean-Jacques Pelletier) is very good, the story is exquisite as it is intricate, but this book has to be my least favorite of the whole series, even if some of the other (L'homme traffiqué) are technically weaker. I think it has to do with all the maths in there.

Got my hands on a hardcover version of Wings of a Falcon, by Cynthia Voight. I had read it in highschool and highly enjoyed it. Been looking for it for a while. Found it was still quite good now.

Read trough some Esoteric books...
    One was "Psychic Vampires: Protection From Energy Predators & Parasites "
    Which I mostly disliked because of the author's simplemindedness combined with his tendency to believe himself to some infinite source of knowledge to whom all should bow.
    The other was "The Practice of Ally Work: Meeting And Partnering With Your Spirit Guide in the Imaginal World (Jung on the Hudson Books) " (yes, o copied those titles as is from Amazon. Way to long if you ask me). This one I liked, mostly for the vision of the other that all things spiritual are rooted in the imagination and thus all things from the imagination or making us use, or develop, our imagination is spiritual in nature.

Keith, I think you'd like that last book.
  • MargMarg July 2007
    As Simple As Snow --Gregory Galloway
    Dear James --Jon Hassler
    The Gun Seller --Hugh Laurie
    19 Minutes --Jodi Picoult

...there's more... but... meh.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad July 2007
    Same Difference

A graphic novel short story collection by Derek Kirk Kim.
  • The+Auth0rThe Auth0r July 2007
    The main thing I've read of late is the Wayfarer Redemption series by Sara Douglass. Outside of that it's been mainly book club stuff.
    Read the first two issues of Nightmares & Fairy Tales.

Typical Serena Valentino fare.
  • FerretFerret July 2007
    Just got done reading Good Omens by Terry Pratchett.
    Starting The Plucker by Brom tonight.

Hopefully will be done tomorrow.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad September 2007
    Hokay, now onto Eragon. Finally.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad September 2007
    I put Eragon on hold to finish up Hard-Boiled Wonderland.

Now that that's over with, I'm putting it on hold again so I can finish Haunted.
  • FerretFerret September 2007
    I've nearly chewed my way through The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton. Damn good sci-fi.
  • raging+drunk+ladraging drunk lad October 2007
    Done Haunted. Onto Eragon.

Blah.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Google

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

Tagged

Who's Online (0)